Happy Children’s Day to you all.
I think about these poignant words of one the world’s greatest thinkers of our time.
“There can be no keener revelation of a society’s soul than the way it treats its children.”
Very quickly I think of how every word spoken about sustainable development is directly interwoven with children and their happiness.
“Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
If we will not pay lip service to these words above and work on achieving our goals intently, we will have to take a deep look at how we treat our children as a country, state, local government and family today.
Who constitutes the future generation? Children.
Who constitutes an important part of the present generation? Children.
Education is at the heart of it all. If we ‘educate’ intently, plan and program policies to develop our children to full capacity with a view to enriching and empowering every child’s life, we will be building a happier and sustainable country.
We can be rest assured that we’ll be:
- building industries,
- creating jobs,
- inventing and innovating,
- saving our environment,
- controlling our population,
- building strong institutions,
- constructing bankable infrastructure, killing corruption,
- ….and living longer.
It starts with you and the structure you create or have created at home.
- Teach values over rules.
- Teach discipline over commands.
- Teach character over status.
- Build competence over cheating.
- Teach obedience to laws over momentary satisfaction. (DO NOT BREAK TRAFFIC LAWS, THEY SEE AND COPY IT IN MANY WAYS)
- Help your child build capacity by allowing creativity, not killing it with every yell.
- Show love to children, preach it less.
Happy Children’s Day! 🙂